Dhul Hijjah, 1436
إضغط هنا لملاحظة بيان هلال شهر ذي الحجة
The Crescent Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Tuesday, the 15th of September 2015, will be the first day of Dhul-Hijjah, 1436 AH for the United States and the southern regions of Canada.
This determination is based on the fact that there were reported sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye during the sunset of Monday, the 14th of September from many locations. Based on that:
- The Day of ‘Arafa will be Wednesday, September 23, 2015.
- The Day of Eid al-Adha will be Thursday, September 24, 2015.
• Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada
• Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY
• Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL
• Shaykh Muhammad Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL
• Sayyid Sabah al-Ebedi, Vancouver, Canada
Important Islamic events in this month:
- 7th (September 21): Martyrdom of Imam al-Baqir (as), 114 AH
- 8th (September 22): Imam Husayn (as) left Mecca, 60 AH
- 9th (September 23): Martyrdom of Muslim ibn Aqeel (as), 60 AH
- 9th (September 23): The Day of ‘Arafah
- 10th (September 24): The Day of Eid al-Adha
- 15th (September 29): Birthday of Imam Ali al-Hadi (as), 212 AH
- 18th (October 2): Eid al-Ghadeer, 10 AH
- 24th (October 8): Eid al-Mubahalah, 10 AH
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2007 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, please click here.