In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Safar, 1437
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Crescent Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces that Friday, November 13, 2015 will be the first day of the month of Safar 1437 for the entire region of North America.
This determination was made due to reports of verified sightings of the crescent moon at sunset on Thursday, November 12, in many regions of United States. Thus, Arbaeen, the anniversary of the 40th day of the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (as), will be on Wednesday, December 2, 2015.
We ask Allah (swt) to give us victory and success in reaping the maximum benefits this month as we honor the Ahl al-Bayt (as) and we ask Him as well to increase their remembrance among ourselves, our family, and our friends. Finally, we ask Allah (swt) to hasten the Return of our Master, the Awaited Imam (ajfs).
- 7 Safar (Nov 19): Martyrdom of Imam Hasan al-Mujtaba (as), 50 AH
- 17 Safar (Nov 29): Martyrdom of Imam Ali bin Musa al-Rida (as), 203 AH
- 20 Safar (Dec 2): The anniversary of the 40th day of the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (as), 61 AH
- 28 Safar (Dec 10): Death of prophet Muhammed (pbuh&hf), 11 AH.
The Crescent Committee:
• Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
• Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
• Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
• Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
• Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2007 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.