Rabi’ al-Thaani, 1437
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Rabi’ al-Thaani 1437
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces that Monday, January 10, 2016, is the last day of Rabi al-Awwal 1437 and Tuesday, January 12, 2016 will be the first day of the month of Rabi’ al-Thaani, 1437 for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were no verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Sunday, January 10, 2016, in any region of North America.
We ask Allah (swt) for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdī (ajfs).
Important Islamic Events This Month:
- 8 Rabi’-II (Jan 19): Birthday of Imam al-Hassan al-Askari (Year 232 A.H.)
- 10 Rabi’-II (Jan 21): Death of Lady Ma’sooma sister of Imam Ridha (as) in Qum (Year 201 A.H.)
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.
The Moon-Sighting Committee
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2007 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, please click here.