Rabi’ al-Awwal 1437
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Rabi’ al-Awwal 1437
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars in North America announces that there were no verified sightings of the crescent moon at sunset on Friday, December 11, in any region of North America. Therefore, Saturday, December 12, will be the last day of Safar and Sunday, December 13, 2015 will be the first day of the month of Rabi’ al-Awwal, 1436, for the entire region of North America.
We ask Allah (swt) for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdī (ajfs).
Important Islamic Events This Month:
- 8th (Dec. 20th) Martyrdom of Imam Hasan al-Askari (year 260 A.H.)
- 12th (Dec. 24th) Arrival of the Prophet Muhammed PBUH&HF to Yathrib city (al-Madina) marking the start of the Islamic calendar.
- 17th (Dec. 29th) Birthday of Prophet Muhammed PBUH&HF (53 B.H.)
- 17th (Dec. 29th) Birthday of Imam Jafar al-Sadiq a.s. (Year 38 A.H.)
- 18th (Dec. 30th) Establishment of al-Nabawi Masjid (Mosque) in the city of al-Madina on the first Hijri year.
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.
The Moon-Sighting Committee
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2007 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.