In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Dhul-Qa’dah, 1436
إضغط هنا لملاحظة بيان هلال شهر ذي القعدة
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Monday, August 17, 2015 will be the first day of the month of Dhul-Qa’dah, 1436, for the entire region of North America.
This is based on no reports of verified sightings of the crescent moon at sunset on Saturday, August 15, 2015, in any region in North America. Thus, Sunday is considered the last day of Shawwal.
We ask Allah (swt) to accept our fasting and good deeds during the holy month and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (ajfs).
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja'far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Shaykh Sabah al-Ebadi, Vancouver, Canada.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2005 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fifteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Chicago in August 2015.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, please click here.
- 11th (August 27)Birthday of Imam Ali al-Ridha (as), 148 AH
- 29th (September 14)Martyrdom of Imam Mohammad al-Jawwad (as), 220 AH