In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Shawwal
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Saturday, July 18, 2015 will be the first day of the month of Shawwal, 1436, for the entire region of North America.
This is based on no reports of verified sightings of the crescent moon at sunset on Thursday, July 16, 2015, in any region in North America. Thus, Friday is considered the last day of Ramadan.
We ask Allah (swt) to accept our fasting and good deeds during the holy month and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (ajfs).
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Sayyid Nabi Raza Abedi, San Francisco, CA
Important Islamic events in this month:
- 1st (July 18) Eid al-Fitr
- 8th (July 25) Destruction of al-Baqi’ by the government of Saudi Arabia, 1344 AH
- 25th (August 11) Martyrdom of Imam Ja’far al-Sadiq, 148 AH
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2005 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fourteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Detroit in August 2014.
If you missed days of fasting and need to know more about rules of Fidyah and Kaffarah, please click here