There were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye from many locations…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Jumada al-Akhira, 1444 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Sunday, December 25th, 2022 will be the first day of the month of Jumada al-Akhira, 1444 A.H. for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Saturday, December 24th, 2022, in many different locations in the United States.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
Important Islamic Events this Month:
(Click here for a note about varying dates for Islamic events)
- 3 Jumada al-Akhira (Dec. 27): Martyrdom Anniversary of Sayyida Fatimah al-Zahra (p), 11 A.H. (according to the third narration)
- 13 Jumada al-Akhira (Jan. 6): Death Anniversary of Lady Umm al-Banin (p), mother of al-Abbas (p), 64 A.H.
- 20 Jumada al-Akhira (Jan. 13): Birth Anniversary of Sayyida Fatimah al-Zahra (p)
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.