Monday, August 29th, 2022 will be the first day of the month of Safar, 1444…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Rajab, 1444 A.H.
اضغط هنا لملاحظة بيان هلال شهر رجب المرجّب ١٤٤٤ هـ
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Monday, January 23rd, 2023 will be the first day of the month of Rajab, 1444 A.H. for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Sunday, January 22nd, 2023 in many locations including but not limited to Orlando and Southern Miami, Florida, and Houston, Texas.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
Important Islamic Events this Month:
(Click here for a note about varying dates for Islamic events)
- 1 Rajab (Jan. 23): Birth of Imam Muhammad al-Baqir (p), 57 A.H.
- 2 Rajab (Jan. 24): Birth of Imam Ali al-Hadi (p), 212 A.H.
- 3 Rajab (Jan. 25): Martyrdom of Imam Ali al-Hadi (p), 254 A.H.
- 10 Rajab (Feb. 1): Birth of Imam Muhammad al-Jawad (p), 195 A.H.
- 13 Rajab (Feb. 4): Birth of Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib (p), 23 B.H.
- 15 Rajab (Feb. 6): Death of Sayyida Zaynab bint Ali (p), 62 A.H.
- 25 Rajab (Feb. 16): Martyrdom of Imam Musa al-Kadhim (p), 183 A.H.
- 27 Rajab (Feb. 18): Day of Mabath, 13 B.H.
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.