Monday, January 23rd, 2023 will be the first day of the month of Rajab, 1444…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Shaban, 1444 A.H.
اضغط هنا لملاحظة بيان هلال شهر شعبان ١٤٤٤ هـ
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that the crescent moon was confirmed to be sighted by the naked eye in San Diego, California at sunset on Monday, February 20th, 2023. Therefore, based on the multiplicity of horizons ruling of Sayyid al-Sistani, the first day of the month of Shaban, 1444 A.H. will be as follows:
- Tuesday, February 21st, 2023 for Southern California and nearby areas.
- Wednesday, February 22nd, 2023, for the rest of the United States and Canada.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
On behalf of the Crescent Committee,
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Secretary-General
Important Islamic Events this Month:
(Click here for a note about varying dates for Islamic events)
- 3 Shaban: Birthday Anniversary of Imam Hussain ibn Ali (p)
- 4 Shaban: Birthday Anniversary of Abu al-Fadl al-Abbas (p)
- 5 Shaban: Birth Anniversary of Imam Zayn al-Abidin (p)
- 15 Shaban: Birth Anniversary of Imam al-Mahdi (p)
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.