In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Ramadan, 1436
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Thursday, June 18, 2015 will be the first day of the month of Ramadan, 1436, for the entire region of the United States and Canada.
This is based on reports of verified sightings of the crescent moon at sunset on Wednesday, June 17, in many regions of the United States.
We ask Allah (swt) for success in performing good deeds in this holy month and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (ajfs).
The Crescent Committee
- Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi, Toronto, Canada.
- Shaykh Fadhil al-Sahlani, New York, NY.
- Sayyid Mahboob Mehdi Abedi, Chicago, IL.
- Shaykh Muhammed Ja’far Banglori, Miami, FL.
- Sayyid Nabi Raza Abedi, San Francisco, CA
Important Islamic events in this month:
- 6th (June 23) Allegiance to Imam Ali al-Ridha (as), 201 AH
- 7th (June 24) Death of Abu Talib (as), 3 BH
- 10th (June 27) Death of Lady Khadijah (as), 3 BH
- 12th (June 29) Welcoming of the Muslims in Madinah, 1 AH
- 15th (July 2) Birthday of Imam al-Hasan ibn Ali (as), 2 AH
- 17th (July 4) The Battle of Badr, 2 AH
- 19th (July 6) Attack on Imam Ali (as) in Masjid al-Kufa, 40 AH
- 20th (July 7) The Conquest of Mecca by the Muslims, 8 AH
- 21st (July 8) Martyrdom of Imam Ali (as) in Kufa, Iraq, 40 AH
- 23rd (July 10 Night; Thursday Night) Laylat al-Qadr / Night of Destiny, 1 AH
The Moon-Sighting Committee
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established in 2005 by The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, which annually selects new members to serve on its behalf. It has offered its services to the believers in North America every month since. The current committee was appointed at the Fourteenth Conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America held in Detroit in August 2014.
If you missed days of fasting and need to know more about rules of Fidyah and Kaffarah, please click here