Learn more about the first day of the month of Shaban, 1444 A.H. in your…
In the Name of God, the Beneficent, the Merciful
The Crescent Moon of the Month of Shaban, 1445 A.H.
To the respected believers in North America,
Peace be upon you.
The Moon-Sighting Committee of the Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America announces that Sunday, February 11th, 2024 will be the first day of the month of Shaban, 1445 A.H. for the entire region of North America.
This determination is based on the fact that there were verified sightings of the crescent moon by the naked eye at sunset on Saturday, February 10th, 2024, in different regions of North America.
We ask God, the Most High, for success in performing good deeds and to hasten the Return of Our Master, Imam Mahdi (p).
Sayyid M. Rizvi, Toronto, Canada
Sayyid Mehboob Mehdi Abidi, Chicago, Illinois
Shaykh Ahmad Bahrani, Potomac, Maryland
Shaykh M. Jafar Bangloori, Miami, Florida
Shaykh M. Taqi Zakeri, Springfield, Virginia
Important Islamic Events this Month:
(Click here for a note about varying dates for Islamic events)
- 3 Shaban (Feb. 13): Birthday Anniversary of Imam Hussain ibn Ali (p)
- 4 Shaban (Feb. 14): Birthday Anniversary of Abu al-Fadl al-Abbas (p)
- 5 Shaban (Feb. 15): Birth Anniversary of Imam Zayn al-Abidin (p)
- 15 Shaban (Feb. 25): Birth Anniversary of Imam al-Mahdi (p)
- This announcement from the Crescent Committee is per the request of numerous community members across North America to help in identifying the beginning of the Hijri months.
- To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.
- To read Frequently Asked Questions about the Announcements of the Crescent Committee, click here.
The Moon-Sighting Committee was established during the seventh annual conference of The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars of North America, and has been providing monthly sighting announcements to the North American Shia Muslim communities since 2007. The Council adopts/renews its members on an annual basis.
To learn about our basis for determining the beginning of lunar months and the theory about the unity of horizons, click here.